Time for some breakfast cereal love! For what I believe is the first breakfast recipe made for Healthy ‘n Happy (I know right, what’s taken so long!?), I’ve gone with a classic. Coco Pops.
They’re very simple and quick to make so that you can enjoy your cereal cravings without having to wait too long. Within 15 minutes, you’ll have a bowl full of crispy and chocolatey pebbles, waiting for you to pour that non-dairy milk all over it.
To start off you’ll need puffed rice, which can be found in the health food section within most supermarkets. It’s cheap to buy and the bag holds quite a bit of rice so you can remake this whenever you please.
The chocolate sauce is made using four ingredients. Coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao and a pinch of salt to help bring out the chocolate flavour. I used raw cacao powder in this recipe but if you decide to use cocoa powder instead, you need to be mindful that the flavour of cocoa powder is more intense. You will not need as much of it as the recipe states. Instead it will be up to your taste. I suggest using half the quantity, tasting the chocolate mix and then adding more in if you want a darker flavour.
Time to bake it! 4 minutes in the oven, remove and rotate the tray 180° and then bake again for another 4 minutes. Rotating the tray is very important as it makes sure the puffs are all cooked evenly.
If you’re addicted to chocolate and want some more recipes, then check out my chocolate page over here!
- - 3 cups (50g) puffed rice
- - 3 tablespoons (45g) coconut oil, melted
- - 4½ tablespoons (95mL) maple syrup
- - 2½ tablespoons (20g) cacao powder
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/ 320°F and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- In a large bowl, add the puffed rice. In a seperate small bowl, mix together the coconut oil, maple syrup and cacao powder. Add into the puffed rice and mix to combine.
- Evenly spread the chocolate puffed rice all over the baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, rotating the try 180° half way through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on the tray before serving.