It’s sad to say but we have to move away from all the Christmas food (see you next year!) and onto other delicious tempting treats.
Welcome to the first of many summer inspired desserts, this Summer Berry and Pear Crumble. A sweet vanilla infused fruit layer, underneath a crisp and very simple oaty crumble. Serve along side your favourite diary-free ice-cream and you, my friend, have got yourself a winner.
Let’s dive into this fruity filling. A mix of fresh Packham pears and frozen mixed berries, with hints of vanilla and sweetened with coconut sugar. A few notes about this filling that need to be mentioned are, that I did use frozen mixed berries because they are MUCH cheaper. However, you can use fresh fruit in placement of them and go about the exact same as the recipe reads.
When using frozen fruit in most recipes (especially in crumbles, pies and tarts), it is important to drain them of most or all of the liquid that appears when they defrost. Otherwise you’ll end up with a soggy fruity mush…no thanks. I pour my frozen fruit into a bowl a leave to defrost throughout the day. However, to speed up the process place the bowl in a warm oven or microwave and stir regularly until they are about 90% defrosted. Being very carful when stirring that you don’t squish the fruit.
The crumble on this Summer Berry and Pear Crumble, uses a mixture of oats and flour. To make it gluten free, use gluten free oats and almond meal in replacement of the flour. For the wet ingredients I used two types of fat, coconut oil and vegan butter because of the flavour. Adding too much coconut oil to the crumble does lead to a coconut-y taste, but if you like that then substitute the butter for the same amount of oil.
Enjoy this Summer Berry and Pear Crumble with friends, as it does serve a lot. It also keeps well in the fridge for a few days, that is if you do have any leftovers.
For more summer favourites, check out this Pear and Raspberry Galette, Peach and Apple Cobbler, Cherry Pie, Lemon and Thyme Cake, Fresh Fruit Tart with Lemon Cream and this Passionfruit, Mango and Lime Layered Cream Cake.
- - 800g frozen mixed berries, thawed and drained of any excess liquid
- - 2 (400g) Packham pears, cored and sliced into ½ thick pieces
- - ¼ cup (40g) coconut sugar
- - ⅛ teaspoon salt
- - 1 tablespoon (15mL) lemon juice
- - 2 tablespoons (15g) arrowroot powder
- - 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- - ¼ cup (40g) plain flour
- - 3 tablespoons (30g) coconut sugar
- - ¼ teaspoon salt
- - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- - 2 tablespoons (20g) coconut oil, melted
- - 2½ tablespoons (35g) vegan butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 355°F and set aside a 25cm square baking dish.
- Begin making the filling. In a large bowl, combine all the filling ingredients together and evenly spread out in the baking dish.
- To make the crumble, mix together the oats, flour, coconut sugar, salt and vanilla. Pour in the melted coconut oil and vegan butter and stir until it’s all mixed together. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving with your favourite non-dairy ice cream or coconut whip.
Crumble does soften after being put in the fridge.