Let’s get something straight. Rock cakes are classics. Fiddling around with them isn’t necessary because they’re already so tasty. The only important change I see is to make them vegan, so my friends, that’s what I’ve done. Now everyone can enjoy these Simple Vegan Rock Cakes.
Let’s jump into todays recipe so you can have the smell of these coming from your oven in a short matter of time.
Rock cakes are a funny biscuit because one could only assume that the texture of them are like rocks- hard and dense. But they’re far from that! They get there name from their appearance and crispy shell, however when you bite into them they’re moist, fluffy and lightly spiced for some extra flavour. My goodness are they good!
I’ve made this recipe as simple as possible for everyones benefit. These Simple Vegan Rock Cakes require all of 7 ingredients and one bowl. Easy! Mix all the dry ingredients together, rub in the vegan butter, stir in the sultanas, add the milk, cook, eat.
Baking tips for rubbing butter into flour-
We do this to distribute the fat evenly into the flour so that the butter is finely coated in it, giving the rock cake a lighter texture when cooked. To do this you want to use your fingertips (can’t stress enough to only use only your fingertips and not your palms) to gently rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles wet sand or breadcrumbs. Do not use your palms as the heat from them will melt the butter. Try to keep them clean from any mixture!
These Simple Vegan Rock Cakes are great recipe for any baker to make, beginner to advance. And they’re even better to have stashed up in your cupboard for when you want something sweet to snack on. If you don’t own or can’t find Natvia (a calorie free sweetener, you can use normal caster sugar or try coconut sugar).
If you want more recipes that are great for filling the tins, then be sure to check out these Marbled Vegan Shortbread, Salted Butterscotch Squares, Pumpkin Choc Chip Cookies, Vegan Almond Biscotti, Peanut, Chocolate and Popcorn Slice and this Chewy Pecan Slice.
….So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
- - 1¾ cups (250g) plain all-purpose flour
- - 1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
- - ⅓ cup +1 tablespoon (80g) Natvia
- - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- - ¼ teaspoon mixed spice
- - ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (80g) vegan butter
- - ½ cup (100g) sultanas
- - ½ cup (140mL) soy milk or preferred dairy free milk
- Preheat oven to 190°C/ 375°F and line two baking trays with grease proof paper.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, Natvia, cinnamon and mixed spice.
- Rub in the vegan butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in the sultanas. Pour in the milk and mix until just combined. Do not over mix as this will result in dense rock cakes.
- Drop heaped tablespoons of the mixture onto the grease proof paper, leaving a 5cm gap between each. The trick here is not the have perfect looking balls, rather a more textured appearance so they look like rocks.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Leave to cool on the trays for 5 minutes before serving.
Best served fresh.