Welcome to another week and another recipe! Today I’m diving into the world of pie crusts and fillings to bring you this gorgeous Simple Vegan Rhubarb Galette.
I can hear some of you asking, what is a galette? Well my friends, it’s similar to a pie in taste but it’s far easier to make and doesn’t require lots of time. That’s why I love them! They’re a crusty, biscuity base with a loaded fruity centre.
Rhubarb is in season at the moment so it’s currently going into everything I eat. I love it stewed with a bit of maple syrup for sweetness and spices to add a richer flavour. In this Simple Vegan Rhubarb Galette, it’s paired with orange and a little coconut sugar. Orange and rhubarb go hand in hand with each other because of its sweet, tart flavour combo.
First you’re going to chop the rhubarb, mix it with the orange and coconut sugar and then let it macerate for 20 minutes, while you make the crust. You could leave it overnight so the flavours deepen but if you’re time sensitive then you don’t have to.
While that soaks, onto the crust!
Process everything together, divide into 4 and then roll each dough into a roundish shape. This is the best part about galettes, the shape you roll the dough into doesn’t have to be perfectly round. In fact, you don’t want it to be, otherwise when you go to fold it, it won’t look so rustic.
Then bake this beauty until the crust is golden and the rhubarb is tender.
- - 340g rhubarb, cut into 2½ inch lengths
- - ½ tablespoon (4mL) orange zest
- - 3 tablespoons (40mL) orange juice
- - 3 tablespoons (25g) Niulife Coconut Sugar
- - 1½ cups (240g) plain flour
- - ¾ cup (125g) wholemeal plain flour
- - 2 tablespoons (20g) Niulife Coconut Sugar
- - ½ cup (80g) Niulife Coconut Oil, softened
- - ½ teaspoon salt
- - 8-10 tablespoons cold water
- To Dust
- - Mixed spice
- - Niulife Coconut Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/ 350°F and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Make the filling. Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl. Stir well to combine. Leave to macerate for 20 minutes (or overnight if you have the time), stirring frequently to cover the rhubarb with the juice.
- Make the crust. In a food processor, blend the flours, coconut sugar and salt together. Add in the soften coconut oil and pulse to combine into the dry mix. While the food processor is running, add in the water one tablespoon at a time. Add in enough water until the dough forms a ball, I needed 8 tablespoons. Lightly knead to bring together then divide equally into 4.
- Dust your bench with flour and roll each dough piece into a 7 inch round. Fill the middle with rhubarb, leaving a 1 inch boarder around the sides. Gently fold the edges of the dough onto the rhubarb, overlapping where necessary. Press the edges gently to seal. Transfer to the baking tray. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Brush the sides of the pastry with the left over orange liquid the rhubarb was soaking in. Sprinkle each galette with a little mixed spice and coconut sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, the crust should be golden and the rhubarb is tender. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vegan ice cream or coconut whipped cream.
….So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!