I’m not sure about you but at the moment cookies are my life. I’ve recently been on a roll and have found a lot of enjoyment creating different flavours and textures.
These Pumpkin Choc Chip Cookies have been created from this recent obsession for all things cookies.
Their soft and chewy centre is complemented with chunks of choc chips and spices. Think pumpkin pie meets cookie form. They are easy to whip up and require only 20 minutes and 1 bowl.
For a gluten free option, simply substitute the wholemeal flour with gluten free flour.
I begin making these cookies and many of my other cookies by creaming Niulife Coconut Oil and Coconut Sugar together until pale and creamy. Creaming serves two purposes– 1. to incorporate the sugar evenly into the batter and 2. to incorporate more air into the batter, helping to form a light and fluffy cookie. D’lish!
Now, for the people who live in a country where canned pureed pumpkin is not a thing (my hand is up for this one), simply buy a fresh pumpkin, skin it, steam it until it’s soft and then mash it. Voilà, you’ve got yourself pureed pumpkin suitable to use for these Pumpkin Choc Chip Cookies.
In this recipe I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels (or chocolate chips) however, you can use whatever semi sweet, dairy free choc chips you can find.
These cookies are wonderful to enjoy in the beautiful autumn season. For me, spiced desserts and treats are always a go to in the cold weather. There is something so comforting about the mix of spices, that I can’t get enough of them.
What’s your go to dish when it’s cold?
….So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
- - ½ cup (120g) Niulife Coconut Oil, softened
- - ¾ cup (120g) Niulife Coconut Sugar
- - 1 teaspoon (5mL) vanilla extract
- - 6 tablespoons (90g) mashed pumpkin*
- - 1 cup (180g) wholemeal plain flour
- - pinch salt
- - ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- - ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- - 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- - ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- - ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- - ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- - 6 tablespoons (70g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/347°F fan forced. Line two baking trays with grease proof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the coconut oil and coconut sugar until pale and creamy. About 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mashed pumpkin and beat to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Beat until it just combines, making sure not to over beat. Stir through the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1½ tablespoons of the mixture, roll into a ball and lightly flatten on the baking trays. Space each cookie 5cm/ 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool on the trays for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
*If you are unable to buy canned pureed pumpkin, de-skin, chop and steam until soft fresh pumpkin and then mash it by hand.