Who knew scones could get any better?! Well let me assure you they can. I’ve revamped the traditional scone (by the way, there is nothing wrong with plain scones) and made an epic new creation.
*Drum roll please*
And now for the very first time, please welcome these Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Scones!
Ok so let me tell you why these Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Scones will be your new best friend.
- They’re simple!
- Packed FULL of flavour
- Glazed with a gorgeous lemon drizzle (which turns these scones from great to even better)
- Fluffy, light and tender.
- And ONLY 10 ingredients
So I explained over in this post why we rub butter into the flour, to sum it up it makes the scones a whole lot lighter in texture. These Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Scones are so light, it’s almost like you’re eating air.
I’ve made my own vegan buttermilk by mixing lemon juice and soy milk together and leaving it to sit for 10 minutes. Buttermilk is used for multiple reasons in baking. It creates a subtle tang in baked goods and a slightly acidic batter (lemon juice is acidic) helps to keep this scone, or your batter, moist and tender by breaking down the tougher strands of gluten (which we can’t see with our own eyes). It’s a real powerhouse of an ingredient!
For more treats perfect for an afternoon of baking, check out these Simple Rock Cakes, Paleo Cranberry Scones, Blueberry and Walnut Muffins, Fresh Fruit Tart with Lemon Cream, Frozen Hazelnut Hot Chocolate Bites, Peanut, Chocolate and Popcorn Slice, Gingernut Cookies, Coconut Rough Slice and this Apple and Rhubarb Slice.
….So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
- - 175mL buttermilk (to make pour ½ tablespoon lemon juice (15mL) into a jug and top the rest (160mL) with soy milk. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.)
- - 2 cups (250g) plain all-purpose flour
- - 2½ teaspoons (10g) baking powder
- - ⅓ cup (65g) baking Natvia
- - ½ teaspoon salt
- - zest of 1 lemon
- - ¼ cup (50g) vegan butter
- - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- - 1 cup (125g) frozen blueberries
- - ½ cup (70g) Natvia icing sugar
- - 3 teaspoons (15mL) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ 392°F and line a baking tray with grease proof paper and dust lightly with flour.
- Make the scones by making the buttermilk first. Meanwhile sift the flour, baking powder, Nativa and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir through the lemon zest.
- Rub in the butter using your fingers. The mixture should look a little like wet sand.
- Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla using the sharp end of a butterknife. This helps to cut through the butter in the dough. Gently fold through the blueberries, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Using your hands bring the dough together to a large ball. Transfer to the baking tray and flatten it down to make a 20cm/ 8 inch round. Cut into 8 wedges and place each wedge 5cm/ 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, they should be lightly golden in appearance. Leave to cool on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with glaze once cool.
- To make the glaze, mix both ingredients together to form a thin paste.
Store covered in the fridge for 3 days.