Happy New Year and may this year be your year to accomplish whatever you set out to do. If you have any resolutions, I’d love to hear about them! Comment down below and let me know. One of my resolutions is to keep creating better content for YOU my wonderful readers.
Let’s kick off the new year right, with this Easy Vegan Plum Cake. It only takes 15 minutes to prep and is one of those 1 bowl wonder cakes! Which means less cleaning for you.
This Easy Vegan Plum Cake is very fluffy with hints of vanilla and orange. I used Natvia as my sweetener as it can be used 1:1 for sugar but has almost zero calories. It also creates a white looking cake, which is exactly what I wanted.
Begin by creaming the vegan butter and Natvia together in either a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or you can use a hand mixer. Creaming is an important step as it begins to incorporate air into the mixture as well as dispersing the sweetener evenly into the batter.
TIP: after you sift the flour in, you need to gently mix it in until it’s just combined. If you over-mix, the gluten in the flour will begin to activate and that will lead to a tougher, less fluffier cake. So mix until that last bit of flour has disappeared and then add the milk. Again, mix until the milk has just combined and then stop.
Time to deseed those plums. Unfortunately I don’t have any great advice on how to do that, some plum seeds are much easier to take out than others. What I do is using a sharp knife, start from the top of the plum and cut around the seed to give you two halves. Twist the plum open and usually one side comes free and with the other side you just have to dig under the seed with you fingers to get it out.
Arrange the halves in a circular direction around the cake and gently press each of them in. Bake it and violà your cake is done!
- - ½ cup (100g) vegan butter
- - ½ cup (90g) Natvia
- - 1 teaspoon (7mL) vanilla extract
- - 1 teaspoon orange zest
- - 1 cup (155g) plain all-purpose flour
- - 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- - ½ cup (130mL) soy milk or preferred non-dairy milk
- - 7 firm plums, halved with seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 180°C/355°F and grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with grease proof paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on, cream the vegan butter, Natvia, vanilla extract and orange zest until pale and creamy. About 1-2 minutes.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently mix in until it's just incorporated. Add in the milk and mix again to combine. Pour cake batter into the prepared tin and arrange the plum halves around the cake, gently pushing each one in.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tin before serving.