Hello beautiful people!
Let’s just stop and take a look at this Chunky Spiced Buckwheat Granola…looks very tempting! Like you want to eat a whole bowl full? It’s too good not to resist eating it on everything including smoothie bowls, coconut yogurt, fruit or even just on its own.
Its full of comforting flavours, crunchy textures, heart healthy fats and a bit of sweetness. After you taste this granola you won’t want to eat any other.
I’ve been inclined to make granola for a while but never got around to it. What a mistake! It is so simple to create, using only 1 bowl and 25 minutes of your time. Mix it, bake it, sprinkle over some optional dried fruit and you’re finished. Breakfast for the week sorted.
This Chunky Spiced Buckwheat Granola is chunky because you aren’t allowed to touch it while it bakes. No shaking, stirring or moving the bits around on the tray. Spread the entire wet mixture onto a baking sheet, let it bake for 15 minutes and then rotate it to continue cooking for a further 5 minutes. After it cools it turns hard so you are easily able to break it up into chunks.
The spices I’ve used to flavour this granola are ground cinnamon, ground cloves and vanilla powder. You can find vanilla powder at most health food store. It’s got an intense and deep vanilla flavour, much more pronounce than extract. However, if you don’t have this on hand (completely understandable) substitute it for vanilla extract.
Combined, these spices tastes how autumn feels. Warm, cozy, comforting…like you’re being hugged. I love this spice mix, really anything with cinnamon and vanilla is a winner. Not only is the spice combination a winner but I’ve also added pecans, which to me pair perfectly with these spices and intensify those autumn feelings.
….So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
- - 1½ cups (265g) raw buckwheat
- - ½ cup (30g) coconut flakes
- - ¼ cup (35g) sunflower seeds
- - ¼ cup (45g) pepitas seeds
- - pinch salt
- - ½ cup (60g) pecan halves
- - ½ cup (60g) flaked almonds*
- - 3 tablespoons (45g)Niulife Coconut Oil
- - 3-4 tablespoons (65-85mL) maple syrup**
- - 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- - 1½ teaspoons vanilla powder (can substitute for vanilla extract)
- - ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- - 3 tablespoons sugar free cranberries (optional)
- - 3 tablespoons sultanas (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 355°F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the buckwheat, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, pepitas seeds, salt, pecans and almonds.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the coconut oil, maple syrup and spices. Stir until the oil is melted. Pour over the dry ingredients. Stir well.
- Evenly pour the granola over the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes before rotating 180° and bake again for 5-6 minutes. It should be golden brown in appearance. Remove tray from oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool sprinkle over the optional dried fruit. Carefully break the slab into smaller chunks using your hands. Serve and enjoy!
**this is depending on how sweet you like it.
Store covered in a large jar for up to 3 weeks.